Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Review: Storm by Nina Levine




Series: Storm MC #1
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Nina Levine
Publication Date: Nov. 20, 2103
Format: Kindle
Pages: 228
Source: Free
Rating: 3 Stars - Liked It
 



 

Synopsis
by Goodreads - Madison Cole’s family is the Storm Motorcycle Club. Her father is the President and her brother is the VP. She grew up surrounded by bikers, crime and violence. Two years ago she walked away from her family and the world they live in. Her soul was shattered, her heart was broken and she had an addiction she couldn't shake. She picked up the pieces and put herself back together. Now her family wants her back. The club is being threatened and they send a club member to return her home to safety; the one person that could destroy everything she has worked so hard to build.

Jason Reilly has sacrificed a lot for the motorcycle club he calls family. Two years ago he made the biggest sacrifice of all; he gave up the woman he loved for them. Now he is being sent to bring her back and he is conflicted. He thought he was over her but discovers their connection is as strong as ever. Their love was all-consuming, passionate and fiery. It was also their undoing and he doesn't know if either of them is strong enough to battle the demons that ripped them apart, to find love again.

Madison and Jason are brought back together by a force out of their control; one that pushes them to a breaking point. Can they overcome their past and discover a love worth fighting for or will the harsh reality of their world finally and completely break them both?

Thoughts
I have two huge issues about Storm. One is readers are told instead of shown. The prologue could of been amazing and a bit gritty if the readers were not thrown in a middle of a scene, but actually were shown how the characters got to that point. From there readers are pretty much told and not shown through out the novel.  Because of this I was having a hard time feeling connected with the hero  Jason and the heroine Madison's romance.

Second issue I had was Madison. She was so annoying. Her father is the President of the Storm Motorcycle Club and her brother is the VP. She grew up with the club. So she knows how certain things work. For her not to understand how certain things work in the club life made no sense. The way she was always on his case about the club got old. Her attitude felt so pushed to cause some kind of minimal angst between them.

I liked Jason also known as J. He had a bit of an alpha vibe going on. Nothing about him really was rememberable. At times I forgot I was reading a biker read as none of the characters have any biker  names. Jason is called J but that is just his nickname.

There were times when a few good moments would happen that I thought wow now it is getting good. Those moments did not last long as they were brushed over.

What made me keep reading and saved the book for me was Scott her brother. Loved his character and the relationship he had with his sister Madison and Jason.

I did overall enjoy Nina Levine's writing voice. Her storytelling and writing voice could of shined in Storm if she did not hold back. Since I did take a liking to Scott and I am curious to see where Nina Levine is taking this series I will be checking out Fierce (Storm #2).

 

4 comments:

  1. This one sounds interesting and I do love a good MC romance, but I have a feeling I wouldn't care for the heroine too much. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can't connect with the characters, I can't like the book.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Lovelies. Thank you for stopping by. I love to hear from you.