Tuesday, March 12, 2013

NA Review: Relentless by Cassia Leo


Relentless (Shattered Hearts #1)
by Cassia Leo
Purchase Link: Amazon
 
Blurb by Goodreads
 
 
Claire Nixon is a twenty-year-old college dropout with a secret.

To Claire, Adam Parker is just another flirty customer at the cafe, until a chance encounter and seemingly innocent comment spurs a bet between them. The bet is simple: If Adam can get Claire to reveal the secret that made her drop out of college, she has to re-enroll. If he doesn’t succeed, she gets to keep her secret and he has to stop stalking her at the cafe.

Claire thinks she has this one in the bag. She’s perfected the art of forgetting her past. But she isn’t prepared for Adam’s relentless pursuit or for him to share his own secrets. And she’s definitely not prepared for her rock star ex, and her secret, to come banging down her door one year later.

New Adult Contemporary Romance: Due to strong language, drug use, and sexual content, this book is not intended for readers under the age of 18.
 

I absolutely love the cover and the blurb for Relentless. I love when there is a huge secret in a novel. As for the secret in Relentless I love when layers are peeled and with each layer pulled you get a little more on the secret. Cassia Leo did an outstanding job at little by little giving hints on what that secret is. Just when I thought I new what the big secret is I was pulled in another direction and thought of something else. When the secret was finally revealed I was not expecting that to be the secret, but oh was I close. Now I did feel the secret could of been handle more with some angst with some of the characters. It was huge and wish it was revealed a little sooner with more scenes with it.
 
For me the characters were boring and a bit corny. I could not connect with them. Adam is a sweetheart with his tattoo, pierce self and could of been fun but his character was just too cheesy for my liking. For me there was no excitement or memorable moments in their relationship.
 
Before the secret is revealed it was at times a struggle for me to finish the novel. Way to easy to put down and pick back up. The only reason I kept reading was to find out what Claire’s big secret is. Relentless could of been a good and intense novel especially with Claire’s big secret if only a good chunk of the beginning was cut out and more was invested on her huge secret. It really does not end in a cliffhanger but you will have to buy book 2 to see where Claire’s big secret will take her and Adam. At this point I do not know if I will continue on with this series. I was not invested enough in the main characters to want to know how their lives will play out.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely review....sorry that it wasn't a fab read for ya!! I really hate it when a book is so easy to put down, I love to be totally involved in a story. Hope your next read is better for ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. I love to be totally invovled in a story. I loved the idea of this novel with the huge secret but for me I did not how it played out.

      Delete

Hello Lovelies. Thank you for stopping by. I love to hear from you.