Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Review: Brother's Keeper by Elizabeth Finn

 
Brother's Keeper
by Elizabeth Finn

Synopsis
Trapped in a web of hate with no escape, a young woman discovers her attraction to the man determined to protect her may be her undoing. Will time run out, or will he find a way to protect her before her abusive father kills her?

When Rowan is awarded a ballet scholarship to Michigan State University during her senior year of high school, her life’s dream is finally realized. Having lost her mother at an early age and being subjected to the abuse of a destitute drunken father, she has known unimaginable loss and heartache and been left wanting for a better life—a life now within her grasp. But with one ill-fated phone call, her life is turned upside down.

Logan is Rowan's best friend’s older brother whose career is taking off as he prepares to graduate law school and move cross-country to the prestigious law firm that has offered him a very lucrative contract. When Rowan finds herself at Logan’s mercy after he inadvertently learns of the abuse she has suffered at the hands of her father, their lives become intertwined in a way neither ever imagined nor wanted.

In an effort to protect her, but with his own hands tied by her unwillingness to report the abuse, Logan strikes a deal requiring Rowan to stay with him whenever there is a chance her father might be on a drunken binge—which is often. For her agreement and cooperation, he will keep her secret. Soon, their time together weighs on them both, and they find themselves constantly tempted to step outside the bounds of their supposed platonic relationship. But there is no point. The devastating fact of the matter is their lives are moving in opposite directions—a relationship destined to die before it even has a chance to live.

The ever present clock plagues them both as it ticks off the days until they are parted. But one all important question remains—after he leaves, how will he protect her from a father intent on hating her until the day he dies … or the day he kills her?
 
 
Spoil Free Review
 
Rating: 4 Stars - Loved It
Genre: Erotic Romance
Heat: Scorcher - Panty Changer
Source: Bought
 
One of my favorite trope is best friend's older brother. Elizabeth Finn took a trope that has been done many times and turned it into her own. Early on in Brother's Keeper I was already falling in love with both characters. Rowan and Logan felt so real. Elizabeth Finn has a beautiful writing voice.
 
"You don't owe me forever right now, but God, I hope you'll give it to me willingly someday."

My heart broke for Rowan but at the same time I admire her character. She is broken and battered but that does not stop her from trying to make something out of her life. Even though her dad is a drunk, abusive ass she believes there is good in him. Her father scenes come to life as they are very detailed.
 
Logan is confident, sometimes demanding, but kind and gentle. He is the perfect alpha male I love in my heroes. He is not over the top but his actions flowed nicely through out the novel.
 
What made this novel different from the rest of best friend's older brother trope is that  Logan and Rowan grew up together but never had feelings for each other. The more time they spend together their feelings for each other grow stronger. The sexual tension was perfect. For an Erotic read the sex scenes were tasteful and fit the characters but still a scorcher - panty changer with a delicious dirty talker. I will take lighthouse style with Logan any day. Do not let the Erotic Romance scare you away because there is a plot and the sex scenes do not take over. They are nicely placed through out the novel where should be.
 
I was surprised as being a Erotic Romance how much a emotional roller coaster it was. If do read make sure to not read before going to work or anywhere. I made the mistake of reading some of it before I went to work, that one scene made me cry and that is all I thought about.  Elizabeth Finn is a new author to me that I now must check out her other novels.
 
Add to Goodreads
 
Purchase links: Amazon

4 comments:

  1. OOo dirty talker and a best friend's sibling?! My favorite things! Thanks for the heads up on that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dirty talker and Best Friend Sibling is one of my old time favorites.

      Delete
  2. I would so read this, because of the emotional element. I tend to be a bit picky about erotica's because I feel like the smexyness is great, but I like to have more substance to it, and the emotional build up gives a story that. Great review. Have I said how much I love your new colors...hope you and your family are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately I have been wanting more to my erotic reads than just sex. Thanks I am also loving my new colors. Family and I are doing well.

      Delete

Hello Lovelies. Thank you for stopping by. I love to hear from you.